- After achieving a PhD in Animal Science, in 1995 was appointed as Researcher in Animal Scienceand in 2006 asAssociate Professor at the School of Agriculture, Food, Forestry and Environment(University of Basilicata, Italy).
- He has been involved in several projects concerning animal behaviour (regional and national level) and animal welfare (national and international level) as local project leader and coordinated a national project on product quality and animal welfare in 2005.
- He is author of 107 indexed scientific articles with 1596 citations and an H-index of 24 (Scopus, 5 May 2018).
- His research activity is particularly centred on the study of behaviour andwelfareof farm animals, including buffaloes; the effect of information about animal welfare on consumer perception of product quality and willingness to pay is also a focus of his studies.
- His teaching activity at master level includes two courses: Sustainable Animal Production and Organic Production and Animal Welfare. At PhD level he is teaching a course entitled How to Write a Scientific Article and Present Experimental Data.
- He has been included in the list of experts and, for the period 2009-2011, nominated member of the scientific committee of external reviewers by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), while in 2013 he was nominated member of the working group on sheep welfare.